- About Us
Schools on Vashon close for a second day
Vashon's three public schools will be closed Thursday — for the second day in a row — because of Wednesday's heavy snowfall, according to Superintendent Michael Soltman.
He made the call Wednesday afternoon after checking the latest weather and road reports.
"There's been so much snow. Even if it warms, … I just don't think it's safe to run any of the buses on these side streets. We'll give it one more day," he said.
The Harbor School, a private school, will also be closed on Thursday. "I don't think I want people driving," said James Cardo, head of the school.
Meanwhile, Jim Didrickson, who oversees roads on Vashon for the King County Roads Division, said the situation continues to be difficult on the Island.
"They're still pretty snowy," he said of the roads. The major roads — what he calls Vashon's "lifeline routes" — have been plowed.
"But we haven't even begun on the cross streets yet," he said.
King County Metro Transit says it will continue to have its buses on snow routes Thursday — for a fifth consecutive day. Operating conditions could change throughout the day, however, and Metro officials urge riders to watch for updates from Metro.
Metro officials expect bus serve to continue to be significantly disrupted and delayed on Thursday. Riders are encouraged to check Metro's website for the latest information about road conditions.
Some buses, meanwhile, were struggling with the road conditions on Vashon, according to Robert Teagardin, who works for Metro. He posted this on Facebook: "One of the Island's great bus drivers reports: 'Buses are having a hard time today. One is stuck at Portage blocking the southbound lane of Dockton Highway. One is on the hill going up to the Country Club. How it got there I have no clue!'"
The National Weather Service is forecasting a chance of snow Wednesday night, then a chance of rain or more snow. On Thursday, more rain or snow is expected before 10 a.m., followed by a chance of more snow. New snow accumulation of around an inch is possible, according to the forecast.