News

Electrical problems cause two house fires in one week

Firefighters finish work at a home on Cove Road where a short in a ceiling fan ignited a fire.  - Natalie Johnson/Staff Photo
Firefighters finish work at a home on Cove Road where a short in a ceiling fan ignited a fire.
— image credit: Natalie Johnson/Staff Photo

Last Thursday Vashon Island Fire & Rescue (VIFR) responded to a fire at a small home on the 10200 block of Cove Road, where a renter woke to find his bathroom on fire. Investigators later determined that a short in a the bathroom’s ceiling fan started the blaze, said Capt. Josh Dueweke.

After the man opened the bathroom door, fire and smoke did significant damage at the home. However, VIFR’s quick response time, about three minutes, saved the structure, Dueweke said.

“I don’t believe it’s a total loss,” he said.

About a week earlier, on Friday, June 15, VIFR was called to a house fire on the 22700 block of Wax Orchard Road, another rental house where a short, this time in a lamp cord, started a fire in a second-story bedroom. Responders were able to contain the fire to the bedroom. However, there was significant smoke damage, and the renters, a family with four children, were forced to move out.

Sally Adam at The Harbor School began a collection for the family; they had no renters’ insurance, and many of their personal items were destroyed.

 

 

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 16 edition online now. Browse the archives.