Close football game ends in a Pirate loss

Pirate freshman Clyde Pruett, 20, is brought down inside the 10-yard line after intercepting a Viking pass early in Friday’s football game. - Rik Forschmiedt Photo/
Pirate freshman Clyde Pruett, 20, is brought down inside the 10-yard line after intercepting a Viking pass early in Friday’s football game.
— image credit: Rik Forschmiedt Photo/

In a long first home game that included a power outage and a plethora of penalties by the opponent, the Pirates lost another close game, 28-20, to Bellevue Christian on Friday.

The Pirates received the opening kickoff and were forced to punt. Both teams traded punts then Bellevue scored on a 43-yard run.

Vashon had a drive featuring two long runs by quarterback Nick Amundsen, a catch by Ezra Lacina and on fourth down a catch by Garrett Starr at the 8-yard line. But Bellevue intercepted a Pirate pass, then Clyde Pruett intercepted a Bellevue pass to end the first quarter.

To start the second quarter, the Pirates fumbled the ball with Bellevue recovering. Next the Pirates stopped Bellevue on fourth down, and in a drive aided by penalties and runs by Amundsen, including a 5-yard touchdown run, the Pirates scored to tie the game.

Vashon had one more drive in the half, taking the ball to the 5-yard line, where they had to turn the ball over to Bellevue on fourth down. The quarter ended with a 7-7 tie.

As the teams ran out on the field for the second half, the stadium lights went out and did not return for at least 20 minutes. When play resumed, Bellevue received the ball and scored several plays later on a 50-yard touchdown pass to lead the game, 14-7.

The Pirates again went three and out. Bellevue got the ball and quickly scored again to lead 21-7. Both teams then traded punts as the third quarter ended.

In the fourth quarter the Pirates got the ball at the 15-yard line and on fourth and one got a first down. Starr then gained 82 yards on a pass to the 1-yard line. Amundsen ran it in for a touchdown to bring the score to 21-14.

Bellevue got the kickoff then was forced to punt. Bellevue’s punt was blocked by Lacina and recovered by Jefferson Douglas at the 35-yard line. The Pirates drove down to the 10-yard line on runs by Nick Lawson and Amundsen, who scored from the 10-yard line. The point after was missed, leaving Bellevue ahead, 21-20.

Bellevue took the kickoff to the 35-yard line then drove down for their final touchdown, leading 28-20. The Pirates had 2:27 left on the clock but were unable to score as the game ended.

The Pirates’ next home game is Friday, Sept. 21.


— Brian Brenno is the president of the Vashon Bounty Club.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates