Hundreds of Vashon residents were left without power the morning of Saturday, Dec. 2, thanks to thrashing winds the night before that led to scattered outages across the island.
As of 8 a.m. Saturday, slightly more than 100 Maury island residents were without power, concentrated east of the Maury Island Marine Park and around Rabbs Lagoon and the Portage neighborhood, according to the PSE outage map.
Another 36 were without power just east of Sandford Point and west of Christensen Creek, with restoration estimated by 9 a.m. Other small outages appeared across the island, with restoration estimates between 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m.
About 109 Puget Sound Energy (PSE) customers were without power in the SW 280th St neighborhood near Tahlequah on the south side of the island, but power had been restored shortly after 8 a.m.
During a power outage, the U.S. website ready.gov recommends that you…
- Keep freezers and refrigerators closed.
- Use a generator, but ONLY outdoors and away from windows.
- Do not use a gas stove or oven to heat your home.
- Disconnect appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges.
- Have alternate plans for refrigerating medicines or using power-dependent medical devices.